Friday the 13th of July, 2012: Sylvester Stallone’s son, Sage Moonblood Stallone, was found dead in his Hollywood apartment. The cause of death has not yet been determined though early press reports speculated about the involvement of prescription drugs. Police were called to his Hollywood home at 2:17 p.m. on Friday. Early reports said that he may have been dead for 3-4 days before his housekeeper found him; however, photos of him at home were apparently posted to his Facebook page 17 hours before he was found, suggesting a time of death some time after 8 or 9 p.m. on Thursday, 12 July 2012.
What was happening in Sylvester’s chart that might correlate with this tragic incident? Sylvester’s mother is an astrologer who asserts that her famous son was born on 6 July 1946 at 7:20 pm in NYC, so we have a fairly accurate chart to work with:
Stallone just experienced a solar return about a week ago, so it makes sense to compare this solar return chart to his natal chart. I am assuming he spent his return in the Los Angeles area but I am not certain. In his natal chart Venus rules the 5th house of children and Jupiter rules his natal 12th house of grieving, which is his children’s derived 8th house of death. Here is Stallone’s SR for Beverly Hills, where he resides, superimposed on his natal chart:
A few things stand out:
- SR Saturn almost exactly conjoins his natal Moon just inside the 10th house. SR Saturn is the only transiting planet on an angle of the natal chart, which gives it special prominence in the Solar Return. Saturn crossing the Moon can be a very depressing time when one feels frustrated and depleted. Issues of loss and emotional deprivation often come to the surface and, being in the 10th house, they have the potential for public display. SR Saturn conjoins the 10th cusp, which is the derived 6th cusp of his children, so that Saturn affects the health of his children.
- The SR MC at this residence almost exactly conjoins natal Pluto in the natal 8th house of death. This is a time of radical upheaval regarding 8th house matters (death and goods of the dead). The MC casts these issues into a public forum
- SR Venus, ruler of his natal 5th of children, almost exactly opposes his natal 12th cusp of grief, sorrow, undoing and confinement. This aspect reinforces the significance of SR Saturn conjoining the Moon. Grief over the loss of a child is a possible interpretation.
- SR Jupiter conjoins SR Venus, which opposes the natal 12th house cusp. Jupiter rules his children’s derived 8th house of death, reinforcing the previous interpretation.
The birthplace Solar Return is also quite striking. Here is his NYC Solar Return chart with his natal chart superimposed:
Striking features of the birthplace solar return include:
- The ASC of the NYC solar return lies almost exactly on his natal 12th house cusp of mourning, sadness and confinement.
- The SR Sun (and natal Sun) conjoin the SR 8th house cusp of death and goods of the dead. He will be dealing with issues related to death during this SR year.
- SR Venus (which rules his natal 5th house of children) lies very close to the horizon, making matters related to children prominent in the SR year.
These are some of the major features of these SR charts. Other factors are present but less striking.
Sage Stallone’s Birth Chart:
I was unable to locate a birth time for Sage’s chart, so I cast a sunrise chart as a generic reference to someone born in LA on 5 May 1976. Here is his sunrise chart:
In this sunrise chart Neptune conjoins the 8th cusp of the house of death, which is ruled by Jupiter. Neptune suggests the possibility of death through an adverse response to drugs or medications. Neptune rules drugs, medications, liquids, gases, the oceans, etc.
Neptune is stressed by a sequisquare from Saturn at the cusp of the 4th house of endings, which is ruled by the Moon. Neptune is also stressed by a quincunx from his Taurus Sun. If he died on Thursday evening, the transiting Moon was conjoining his natal Sun and activating this natal Sun/Neptune quincunx — again suggesting the possibility of drugs, alcohol or intoxicants in his demise. Neptune also figures in deaths due to shipwrecks and drowning, but that appears highly improbable in this case except possibly in a very metaphorical sense.
By the time the police were called, the transiting Moon had moved to 22 Taurus 32 and since very early Thursday morning transiting Saturn had had been in partile square with his natal Mars, ruler of his unfortunate 12th house of undoing. In addition, the transiting Sun was illuminating the three planets in his natal 3rd house of news and communication.
Addendum 17 July 2012: Sage’s mother reported she was worried about his recent dental surgery and speculates that the pain killers he was taking post five dental extractions may have contributed to his death. Her hypothesis is consistent with the astrological symbolism. Saturn rules bones and teeth. In his father’s SR Saturn conjoins Sage’s derived 6th cusp of illness and is the most prominent planet in the return this July. Transiting Saturn squares natal Mars in Sage’s chart and this aspect commonly occurs around the time of significant dental procedures.