I live in Connecticut, not far from Newtown, so the news of the December 14th killing of so many innocent children, teachers and other adults just 20 miles from my home was particularly disturbing. I began to wonder who could commit such a deed. It seemed that the 20-year-old suspect must have been mentally ill, and later news reports bore out my suspicion. Not surprisingly, neighbors described his as a “deeply disturbed kid.” I also wondered what could be going on astrologically in the chart of an individual who could perpetrate such a massacre.
As the news began to report more details about the alleged killer, Adam Lanza, I learned that he was born on April 22, 1992, in Kingston, New Hampshire, time unknown. My usual practice with unknown birth times and insufficient data to rectify the chart is to use a sunrise chart for the birth place, which acts as a generic chart for any individual born in that location on that date. Over the years I have found sunrise charts to be quite revealing and tend to use them in conjunction with natal chart even when the actual time is known.
Here is Adam Lanza’s sunrise chart for this birth place:
Immediately striking is the close Uranus/Neptune conjunction on the sunrise Midheaven, with Uranus stationary. This conjunction closely square Venus, which rules his sunrise Ascendant and disposes his natal sun. ASC-ruler Venus square Neptune can indicate unrealistic expectations in relationships with others. There is often a tendency to feel misunderstood and sorry for oneself, and to blame others for one’s difficulties (here probably father figures would be blamed as shown by the Sun closely square Chiron). ASC-ruler Venus square Uranus can indicate eccentric and quite willful behavior.
Proneness to violence is not immediately apparent. Mars (male drive) is well aspected. On the other hand, Saturn disposes the powerful Uranus/Neptune conjunction at the Capricorn MC and squares Pluto, powerfully placed in Scorpio. The personality difficulties reflected in Venus square Uranus/Neptune find and outlet in Saturn square Pluto, so that at least vengeful fantasies would be a common manifestation of this combination of aspects.
Not surprisingly, Pluto is extremely prominent when we compare his natal chart to his solar return for 2012 and to his solar arc directed chart for the date of the massacre:
The inner wheel is the solar arc directed natal sunrise chart to the date of the violent event. This middle wheel is the native sunrise chart for the alleged perpetrator. The outer wheel is his 2012 solar return for Newtown, CT, where he was residing. Note especially the prominence of Pluto on the horizontal axis of the solar arc directed chart and on the vertical axis of the solar return chart, making Pluto doubly angular this year and activating the natal Pluto/Saturn square whose importance was mentioned previously.
Important transits for the young man in effect at the time of the shootings included:
- Transiting Saturn square natal Chiron in early November and square solar arc directed Chiron in mid-November, 2012, which serve to re-awaken old childhood emotional wounds (related to Sun square Chiron at birth).
- Transiting Jupiter opposing solar arc directed Pluto at the end of November, which often manifests as feeling frustrated by others and desiring revenge. Jupiter/Pluto combinations suggest a lack of restraint, a tendency to excess, and the potential for an explosive abuse of power.
- Transiting Saturn square solar arc directed Uranus on the exact date of the killings (Dec 14, 2012), which represents a strong conflict between feelings of restriction and a desire to break free of all restraints. The role of Saturn and Uranus in this young man’s natal chart have already been described in detail above.
- Transiting Saturn opposing solar arc directed Venus in mid-December, 2012, which greatly stresses personal relationship.
- Transiting Saturn square solar arc directed Neptune of Christmas Day, 2012, a time of great inner confusion about one’s direction in life. Saturn aspects predominate this list, and transiting Saturn triggers his most sensitive natal aspects during November and December of 2012. In addition, Saturn rules the ASC of the Solar Return chart in Newtown this year, giving Saturn (along with Pluto which Saturn squares) special prominence at the end of 2012.
- In the comments (below) Val in Boston noted that the total solar eclipse of Nov 13, 2012, at 21 Scorpio 56 closely conjoined his natal Pluto and closely opposed his secondary progressed Sun. In addition, Uranus of the eclipse chart conjoined his secondary progressed Mars in Aries. Mars is dispositor of the total solar Scorpio eclipse. Pluto of the eclipse chart squares this Uranus/Mars conjunction. Here is the chart:
An odd coincidence:
As more details of the massacre became available, I looked over the transits for the day (Dec 14th). The daily transit in effect closest to the time of the shootings was Sun at 23 Sagittarius semi-square Saturn at 8 Scorpio, which became exact at 9:38 AM. Coincidentally a news story in the New York Post reported that at that very moment:
“The shooting appears to have stopped,” the dispatcher radioed at 9:38 a.m. “There is silence at this time. The school is in lockdown.”