In studying the life and birth chart of Alexander the Great, it occurred to me that the Christian religion borrowed some of its symbolism from the Alexandrian myth. According to wikipedia, “Alexander took the Persian title “King of Kings” (Shahanshah) and adopted some elements of Persian dress and customs at his court, notably the custom of proskynesis, either a symbolic kissing of the hand, or prostration on the ground, that Persians showed to their social superiors.”
The Christian church later followed suit, calling Jesus “king of kings and lord of lords” after biblical passages from the Book of Revelation 17:14 and 19:16 and comments in Matthew 28:18 that all authority on earth was given to Jesus. Both men were traditionally believed to have died around age 33, Alexander just before his 33rd birthday and Jesus in year 33 AD (the year of our Lord).
A likely astrological date for the birth of Christianity is the crucifixion of Jesus, which most scholars date as occurring during the period of the Jewish Passover on Friday, 3 April 33 AD, the same day as a lunar eclipse. In biblical accounts Jesus died on the cross during the 9th hour of the day at a place called Calvary or Golgotha, whose coordinates are 31°46′43″N 35°13′46″E.
As far as I can tell, the Romans were using the planetary hour system they inherited from the Chaldeans. The first hour after sunrise on Friday belonged to Venus and the remaining hours were named in Chaldean order. On 3 April 33 AD, each hour of daylight was approximately 61 minutes long, so the 9th hour took place between 2:07 PM and 3:08 PM (a Mercury hour). Traditionally Jesus was said to have died around 3 PM but it could have been as early as 2:07:10 PM, which is exactly when the Mercury hour started. The lunar eclipse following Christ’s death occurred at 5:17:08 PM.
During the Mercury or 9th hour Leo was rising at Golgotha until about 3 PM when the ASC changed to Virgo, so that the last eight minutes of the 9th hour had Virgo rising. Because the crucifixion of Jesus established him as a spiritual king of kings, it seems more likely that regal Leo was rising at the time of his death. Thus, Jesus most likely expired between 2:07 and 3 PM. A chart for the start of the Mercury hour is symbolically quite striking:
Features that immediately stand out are the following:
- The 2nd decan of Leo rises as it does in the chart of the nativity of Alexander the Great. This decan is associated with the victorious Six of Wands in the tarot. Christians believe that through his crucifixion Christ conquered death and the forces of evil in the world.
- ASC-ruler, the Sun, lies exactly on the 9th Placidus cusp of religion and proselytizing.
- The Sun lies in Aries (on the cusp of the 9th house) and is disposed by Mars in Gemini in the 10th. Christianity became a religion characterized by the use of force to convert non-believers. The Crusades and the Inquisition are symbolically linked to aggressive Aries and fiery Mars.
- Aries, the sign of the Sun, is associated with the tarot’s Emperor trump card. The Emperor is, of course, the king of kings, and a man of immense wealth and secular power, as were the popes through much of European history.
- Uranus, the planet of major upheaval and disruption, closely conjoins the ASC from the spiritual 12th house side. Over the next 2000 years Christianity completely upset the old pagan religions.
- Venus, ruling the MC, conjoins Mercury in sacrificial Pisces in the 8th house of death and anguish of mind. Christianity gave us the term “dark night of the soul.”
- The MC lies in Taurus, which the Golden Dawn assigns to the tarot’s Pope (Hierophant) trump card.
Much more could be said about this chart. I think the above symbolism supports the idea that it is a reasonable chart for the start of the Christian religion.