Thousands of years ago the priests of Mesopotamia studied the night sky and made correlations between planetary phenomena and events on Earth. While astrologers do not believe that the planets cause such events, it is striking how compelling such correlations can be, especially when the nature of an event so closely matches the symbolism of the planet. “As above, so below.”
This week we witnessed a dramatic Mars event in the sky. According to CBS News, “Mars takes the celestial stage Tuesday night (April 8) when it lines up with the Earth and sun in a kind of cosmic preview to the Red Planet’s closest approach to Earth during a total lunar eclipse later this month.”
As a result of this alignment, Mars was strikingly visible in the night sky. Mars is approaching its closest distance to Earth which will occur on April 14, 2014, at the time of a Total Lunar Eclipse. Given the celestial prominence of Mars, astrologers might expect events to occur related to the symbolism of the fiery Red Planet during the first couple weeks of April, 2014.
Mars is the god of war and has to to with all kinds of weapons that spill blood and kill the enemy. Mars is associated with fires, collisions and violence. It is also connected with occupations that deal with such things, such as police work, soldiering, and firefighting. Mars is a macho planet of testosterone, young men, male sexuality, and impulsive behavior. Its glyph is patterned after the erect male phallus.
The headlines during the week or so surrounding this Earth/Mars/Sun alignment certainly have a Mars-like tone:
- April 2, 2014 — shootings at Fort Hood.
- April 6, 2014 — a bored teenager starts a fire in Coney Island Housing Development which results in the death of a police officer who responded to the scene.
- April 8, 2014: Mars – Earth – Sun Alignment
- April 9, 2014 — Obama addresses memorial service at Fort Hood.
- April 9, 2014 — A teenage male student wielding kitchen knives goes on a stabbing rampage at his high school in Murrysville, Pennsylvania.
- April 10, 2014 — Truck collides with bus in California, killing students in a fiery trap.
- April 13, 2014 — 11 dead in Chile forest fire, 500 homes destroyed.
- April 14, 2014 — Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in six years, just ahead of a total eclipse of the moon.
On a lighter note, Japan celebrated the symbolism of Mars this week on April 6th with a special festival called Kanamara Matsuri or the “Festival of the Steel Phallus.” According to the BBC:
“Legend has it that in the 17th Century, prostitutes would pray for protection at Kawasaki’s Kanamara shrine (today, the festival celebrates fertility, relationships and safe sexual practices, including AIDS prevention). The pinnacle of the festival involves carrying an altar in the shape of a penis to the shrine, followed by a parade in which both men and women dress in women’s kimonos and carry wooden penises. Nearly everything in the festival is in the shape of a phallus, from hats to sweets.”