This is a follow-up to an earlier post in which I wrote: “Wynn’s claim to fame in the 1930’s was a 1932 prediction he made in the NY Daily News , when he forecast a week of immense financial turmoil for early March of 1933. On March 4, 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt was inaugurated. One of his first acts, in response to many bank failures and “runs” on banks, was to proclaim a “bank holiday,” closing all the banks in the United States from March 6th until March 13. There was great financial turmoil and uncertainty until the banks reopened on March 13th and depositors began to return their cash to the ailing institutions. Interestingly, on March 8, 1933 (two days after the start of Roosevelt’s bank holiday) the recently discovered dwarf planet Pluto in Aries by transit made an exact square to Uranus in Cancer (the Whole Sign 2nd house of money of the USA Gemini-rising chart). I don’t know whether Wynn had begun to use Pluto in his charts at that time.”
How did Wynn (Sidney Kimball Bennett) make this astounding prediction which catapulted him to fame? I’ve been unable to find a record of his reasoning, so I will try to reconstruct it from what we know about his methods and the astrology of the period. We know that by 1932 Wynn had developed his Solar Return Key Cycle method, based on his the failure of primary and secondary progressions to forecast his serious accident of May 18, 1926. (See Wynn, The Key Cycle, 1931, reprinted by the AFA, Tempe, Arizona in 1970.)
Most likely Wynn studied the natal chart of the USA and compared the Key Cycle chart for March of 1933 to the USA natal chart, with a special emphasis on the financial houses. In the astrology of nations, the relevant mundane financial houses are the 2nd house of money, national wealth and financial institution and the 11th house of assets of the government, including the Treasury.
Which natal chart for the USA did Wynn used in 1932? I’ve been unable to find the actual chart that he used, but at the time the USA chart in vogue was a Gemini rising chart popularized by the famous astrologer (an Wynn’s competitor in the media) Evangeline Adams. Ms. Adams set the birth chart of the USA for July 4, 1776 at 3:03 in the morning. In the 1930s, not long before her death, Adams predicted the timing of the entry of the USA into World War II. I suspect that Wynn used the same USA chart as Adams.
How did Evangeline Adams arrive at the 3:03 AM birth time for the USA? Clearly it is not a factual time, since the delegates were probably all asleep at that hour. Thus, Adams must have based this chart on astrological symbolism or on principles of mundane astrology. Symbolically in the 3:03 AM chart Uranus has recently risen and Mars conjoins the Ascendant — fitting symbolism for a Declaration of Independence (Uranus) which would most certain lead to a war (Mars) with England.
Why 3:03 AM and not a few minutes earlier or later? Most likely this time was selected from an eclipse of the period. Not all states ratified the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776 and it would take a few months to get everyone officially on board. The last eclipse of the year 1776 was a partial solar eclipse, which occurred on August 14, 1776 at 00:22:21 AM LMT in Philadelphia with 20 Gemini 34 rising. Notably the July 4th USA chart used by Evangeline Adams has the same degree of Gemini rising, which occurred at exactly 3:03:30 AM LMT in Philadelphia. Here is the chart used by Adams and probably also used by Wynn to make forecasts about the USA:
To make his predictions Wynn would have looked for Key Cycle contacts with the natal USA chart for March of 1933. Here is the Key Cycle chart for March 6, 1933 (the beginning of the bank holiday) superimposed on the USA natal chart used by Evangeline Adams:
The Key Cycle chart is a transit chart whose cusps are derived from the Solar Return for the year. The MC of a key cycle chart moves 1 degree forward every four days and the other house cusps change accordingly.
Notable features of this combined chart are:
- A transiting Uranus/Pluto square which became exact on March 8, 1933 and which connects the 11th house of the Treasury with the 2nd house of banks and financial institutions in the USA chart. This is clearly an indicator of financial turmoil, peaking on 8 March 1933. This Uranus/Pluto square was probably the most significant transiting aspect of 1933 and would therefore have a major symbolic role to play in national affairs.
- Transiting Mercury (ruler of the USA natal chart) and Key Cycle Ascendant in the 11th of the Treasury squaring the natal Venus/Jupiter conjunction (symbolizing the nation’s wealth) during early March of 1933.
- The Key Cycle Moon transiting the USA natal 2nd house of banks from March 8th until March 10th of 1933.
- The Key Cycle MC opposing natal Venus (money, wealth) on March 6th, the first day of the bank holiday.
- Transiting Sun square the natal Ascendant/Mars conjunction on March 11, 1933 with Mars ruling Aries intercepted in the natal 11th of the Treasury.
- Transiting Sun oppose natal Neptune becoming exact on March 13, 1933, the day that the bank holiday ended.
It seems to me that Wynn must have performed this type of analysis to predict a year in advance a period of major financial turmoil in the USA in early March of 1933.